I am an extremely active sleepwalker and especially sleep-texter. Here is a record of my sleepwalking activities, transcriptions of my sleep text conversations, and narrations of my crazy dreams.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Sleepwalking: Smack!

I had forgotten about this. I remembered last night when my roommate and I were talking about my sleepwalking habits.

A couple years ago, I had a particular sleepwalking habit. I usually sleep on my back. I got into the habit of putting my right arm straight up in the air. I would hold it there for a long while, sleeping normally but with my arm up, as if I had a question. Then, suddenly I would relax my arm all at once. It would fall and my hand would hit me in the face.
The first few times this happened, I woke up startled. "Who slapped me??" were my first thoughts.

I started to catch on after this happened several nights in a row. My arm was always cold, and numb as if all the blood had drained out of it. One night my arm fell in such a way that my hand stayed on my face. Only after that did I know for sure that it was me, basically slapping myself in the face.

An old boyfriend once saw me do it. He lay awake, watching in astonishment as my hand balanced straight up in the air, then eventually fell. I woke up and asked him sleepily why he had slapped me.
He was indignant and amused of course. He said my arm was up for a good 6 minutes before it fell.

I'm glad that particular habit is no more. It's not fun to be smacked awake every night by your own hand.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm sitting here laughing and laughing and LAUGHING!! Ohhhhh the hilarity!!!

    ReplyDelete