I am an extremely active sleepwalker and especially sleep-texter. Here is a record of my sleepwalking activities, transcriptions of my sleep text conversations, and narrations of my crazy dreams.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Dreams: Recital Anxiety

I have a masters recital coming up. So of course I'm nervous about it, and it's leaking into my dreams.

Last night I dreamed that I was late to my recital. I was in my formal dress, trying to get ready as fast as I could. My roommate Anjin was my ride. As we were about to leave she said,
"No, let's not take the car. Let's take the Wonkavator! It'll be much faster."
(For those who don't know, the Wonkavator is from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was his elevator that could go in any direction.)

But as soon as we stepped into the Wonkavator, it started malfunctioning. It took off like a roller coaster, and carried us all over the world. At one point I was looking out the window as we flew over the Pyramids, shouting, "I don't have time for this! I'm late for my recital!"

When I finally arrived, 50 minutes late for my hour long recital, I got up on stage, opened my mouth, and passed out.
Anjin explained to the astonished audience, "Yeah, the Wonkavator can do that to ya."




In another dream, the audience for my recital was filled with all the teachers I've ever had, dating back from preschool.
My voice teacher came up to me backstage five minutes before I went on. She said, "There has been a very slight change in the plan. The dean has requested that you perform all of your songs in German. You're going to have to translate the other languages into German while you're up there. You should be fine. Good luck, sweet girl!" Then she pushed me out onto the stage.

I hate dreams like this. They're so dream-like. Everyone has these. They're ridiculous when you wake up, but at the time, they are utterly terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment