I am an extremely active sleepwalker and especially sleep-texter. Here is a record of my sleepwalking activities, transcriptions of my sleep text conversations, and narrations of my crazy dreams.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How I broke my hand in my sleep, and other sleepwalking stories.

I just realized that I started this blog exactly one year ago today. Happy Anniversary! A lot of sleep activity has happened in one year. O_o I'm glad I have this blog, otherwise I wouldn't quite know how prevalent it is.

It occurred to me that there are a plethora of sleepwalking stories that occurred before I started this blog, and I haven't dipped into them much. Here are a few:

I broke my hand while I was sleeping in early 2010. I think I dreamed I was attacked. I sat up in bed suddenly and punched in front of me very hard. Oddly, I punched with my left hand, even though I'm right handed. My bed at that time was next to two windows, with a solid wooden frame between them. I punched the frame, and fractured my forth metacarpal. I remember clutching my hand in pain, and yelling. But then.. I somehow went back to sleep. I don't think I completely woke up when it happened.

When I woke up the next morning, my hand was swollen and bruised, and I was very confused. I went to the doctor, and had to explain what had happened, giving basically the same explanation I just gave, feeling stupid.

No one at school knew yet about my sleepwalking habits. This was how everyone found out. When I came in with my hand in a brace, I told them the truth when they asked.
Interestingly, my father broke his hand while he was sleeping as well. He dreamed he was in a fight, and punched his metal bedpost. He and I don't talk much, and I have never lived with him. It is strange for this to be what we have in common.



When I was little, I sleepwalked a lot, but not as often as I do now. (at least, as far as I know...)
One of my earliest memories of sleepwalking was when I was 6 or 7. My two sisters, my brother and I were staying at my father's house. I fell asleep on the couch while my siblings were outside playing just after nightfall.
They came inside and told me, "Time to go to bed, Lizzy."
Without waking up, I open my eyes and say, "ok."

I get up and walk in the opposite direction. They all stand there watching me as I walk over to the fishbowl, stick my hand in the water, and swirl it around.
"What are you doing?" they asked, staring at me. I didn't respond.
"Bed is this way, Lizzy." my sister said.
"Oh ok." I said calmly. I took my hand out of the fishbowl and walked with them down the hall. They were silient, looking at each other incredulously.
"What were you doing?" my brother asked me.
"What did it look like I was doing?" I asked, annoyed. "I was playing with the fish."
Then I closed the door and went to bed.

My family still tells this story a lot. Strangely, my sisters have not seen me sleepwalk a lot. So this story is still vivid as a good example of my sleepwalking to them, even though it was so long ago, and I've done much crazier things since.

No comments:

Post a Comment